HAIR LOSS overview
Hair Loss is a very common condition and affects most people at some time in their lives. Anyone can experience hair loss men,women and children and it generally seen to worsen with age.
In a recent study it is revealed that hair loss is increasing by 250% in the age group of 19-25 years. Women develop hair loss almost as frequently as men but they don't lose much volume due to hormonal differences.
There are 40 different types of hair loss, but the most common form is pattern baldness or alopecia, which is seen both in Men and Women.Know More
MALE PATTERN BALDNESS
- Rapid onset of hair loss at an early age
- Loss of more than 100 strands/day
- Receding hair line
- Thinning at the top of the crown
- Hormonal - DHT (Dihydro-Testosterone ) is the primary trigger for the male pattern baldness which reduces the micro-circulation to the hair follicle in turn leading to its miniaturization.
- Genetic causes-family history of Hair Loss increases the possibility of Male Pattern Baldness at an early age.
- Nutritional deficiencies-this is one of the most common reason of hair loss. Iron, protein deficiency and improper absorption of nutrients are the main reasons.
- Stress - it can increase the Hair Loss but the exact mechanism is not understood.
- Medications - certain drugs like broad spectrum antibiotics,anti depressants, chemotherapeutic agents and radiotherapy can increase Hair Loss.
FEMALE PATTERN BALDNESS
- Excessive hair loss while combing
- Breaking of several Hair shafts while combing
- Widening of Hair Partition in the central area of the scalp
- Thinning on the top of the crown
- Hormonal imbalances - common conditions include Hypothyroidism, PCOD, Hair Loss at Menarche (onset of Menses), Post Delivery, Menopause.
- Nutritional Deficiencies - is one of the most common causes of Hair Loss in females in India. Iron and Protein deficiency are major factors.
- Medications- like Oral Contraceptives, Antidepressants and Drugs used for Arthritis also can cause Hair Loss.
- Crash Dieting-can increase Hair Loss.
- Any major illness/fevers like Malaria, Typhoid, Jaundice and Tuberculosis can increase Hair Loss.
SELF – HELP
- Do not use hot water to wash your hair instead use normal or lukewarm water
- Do not comb your Hair when it is wet
- In case of oily scalp wash your Hair regularly
- In case you color Hair use ammonia free products
- Avoid cosmetic treatment for Hair like ironing, perming, straightening
- Include dry fruits, green vegetables and soya in your diet
- At least have 1 handful of dry fruits in a day include dates, raisins, almonds and walnuts
- Include lean protein in your diet like egg whites,chicken and oily fish
- Try to consume fruits rich in Vitamin C like oranges, grapes, pineapple, sweet lime
- Reduce your intake of coffee and tea as it hinders iron absorption( you can have 2 cups/day)
HOMEOPATHY FOR HAIR LOSS
Note: one should take any of these medicines under the supervision of a qualified doctor only