By far the most common joint disease , especially in later life. Approximately 8.5 million people in India suffer from this osteoarthritis. Of which most are adults aged more than 40 , but in recent times change in lifestyle is triggering it at a much younger age.
Triggering factors include Hormonal changes in Women, Obesity, Injuries, Occupational strain and other joint problems.
What Happens? In arthritis the cartilage becomes roughened and destroyed. Osteoarthritis occurs when the cartilage that lines and cushions the joint breakdown and bones rub painfully against each other causing sharp edges called Osteophytes.
What Joints are Affected ? It effects the small joints like fingers and weight bearing joints like knees and vertebrae of back and neck leading to Cervical(Neck) and Lumbar spondilitis (Back) Pain.
Often the joints repair themselves adequately with time and the pain may settle. However in some cases the damage is not successfully repaired, the pain becomes more persistent and joint no longer works properly. The muscles around the joint also weaken which may in turn effect the joint stability.Know More
- Pain, Swelling, Stiffness , Immobility, Numbness in hands and also in foot
- The Warning Signs of Osteoarthritis
- Steady or intermittent pain in a joint
- Stiffness in a joint after getting out of bed or sitting for a long time
- Swelling or tenderness in one or more joints
- A crunching feeling or the sound of bone rubbing on bone
- Numbness in hands and in foot
How is it Diagnosed?
How to Stop the Progression?
- Reduce stress on joints by loosing weight in obese patients wear appropriate foot wear.
- Keep yourself active by doing appropriate strengthening exercises.
- Although arthritis cannot be cured at this time, there are many, many ways to alleviate pain.
Unfortunately almost all drugs have side effect, especially if they are used consistently over a long period of time. In fact, many doctors then prescribe another drug to help with the side effects of the arthritis drugs.
Am I susceptible to OA?
- Are you Overweight? YES/NO
- Do u have a family history of arthritis? YES/NO
- If you are a women have you passed menopause? YES/NO
- Have you had any injury, surgery to the joint before? YES/NO
- Do you have a family history of arthritis? YES/NO
- Do you think your posture at work is wrong? YES/NO
- Do you lead a sedentary life? YES/NO
However, there are also many natural remedies in Homeopathy that can help treat the condition effectively. Our doctors at aarex homeopathy can advise you which medication is best for you. Commonly prescribed homeopathic medicines for osteoarthritis arre Bryonia,colchicum,Colocynth,Guiacum,Kalmia Latifolia,Ledum Pal,Lycopodium,Medhorrhinum,Rhus Tox.
Note: One should use this medicine only under the supervision of a qualified doctor.